Wednesday, January 17, 2007

The Blessing

And Jabez called on the God of Israel saying,
“Oh, that You would bless me indeed,
and enlarge my territory
that you hand would be with me,
and that You would keep me from evil,
that I may not cause pain!”
So Gad granted him what he requested.
I Chronicles 4:10

Hebrew word for ‘bless’ is to bestow favor or kindness”

There is no Hebrew word for indeed. Rather, in Hebrew grammar the writer had the option of slightly changing the spelling of the verb in order to add the meaning intensely or immensely.

An example is “I broke the mirror” compared to “I smashed the mirror into a billion pieces”

Jabez didn’t ask for just a blessing – he asked for a huge blessing that he would never forget.

Things we must understand of the prayer for Blessing:
1. The Prayer is not impersonal, but personal.
2. The prayer is not specific, but general.
3. The prayer does not ask for meager provision, but for abundant blessing.
4. The prayer doesn’t limit the request to a specific time, like “today”, but allows God to bless whenever, wherever, and however.