Monday, August 20, 2012

Getting Connected: You Don't Have to Do Life Alone


God created us to be relational people.  God did not create us to be alone.  

Since the beginning of time, God has not wanted man to be alone.  Adam walked in the cool of the garden with the creator of the universe.  Adam had the opportunity to have animals all around and was even given the priviledge to name them all but God looked at Adam and desired that he not be alone so he created Eve for companionship.  Life is always better when you are with someone.   

It is not fun to eat out alone.  I get the priviledge sometimes especially when I get a little stress and Karen will have meetings to go off by myself eat at a Brazilian restaurant that I enjoy thouroughly - all you can eat meat.  But I love it a whole lot better when I get to be accompanied by my wife.  More than that, I love taking people there who have never been.  Life is always better when you are with someone. 

Who wants to go to Six Flags by themselves?  Who would like to explore the Magic Kingdom at Disney World by yourself?  Life is always better when you are with someone.  I love my church because I don’t have to do life alone!

At Living Waters, we our number one value is ‘people are more important than things.”  At Living Waters, I love my church because I don’t have to do life alone. I do it with people because we value people.  

The kingdom of God is not made up of buildings, politics, road structures, and the like.  The kingdom of God is about people.  And at Living Waters, our church is not made up of a huge parking lot, two buildings, sound systems, various equipment, new carpet, and new chairs.  These will all burn up or erode one day.  Living Waters is about people - all about people.  People and nothing else.  

The bible says that:  “Two are better than one, because they have a good return for their work:
If one falls down, his friend can help him up.  But pity the man who falls and has no one to help him up! Also, if two lie down together, they will keep warm. But how can one keep warm alone?
Though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves.  A cord of three strands is not quickly broken”  Ecclesiastes 4:9-12 NIV

Doing life together matters.  We can do more with others than we can do by ourselves.