Thursday, October 19, 2006

De-Churching

As a church planter, I have to de-church. I have been going to church since I was literally conceived. The other day packing, I came across my baby book. My mother put in there that my first birthday party was given to me by the church that I attended. There is a lot of years in church for me, but I am going through the process of de-churching.
De-churching is evaluating the way you have always done 'church' and bringing with you the effective things and leaving behind those things that will not have any effect. Knowing your demographics and meeting non-believers in your community help you understand what you need to bring and not to bring.
Church planting can allow you to be a catalyst for changes in the faith community. I have stated before church planters are the most fun people to be around. They ooze with excitement and authenticity. They want to make a change. They want to be a catalyst. They want to see church done differently.
There is nothing like church planting!