Wednesday, November 28, 2007

The Sabbath


Ok.  Paramount Church meets on Saturday evenings.  I am pretty sure that 99.99999% of churches meet on Sunday.  We meet on Saturday for various reasons including location and our values. 

I love it when PCers come to me and ask me questions about the Bible.  The question this week was about the Sabbath.  When is the Sabbath?  I answered the following:

According to Jewish tradition, the "Sabbath" fell on a Saturday.  According to most Christian faiths, the "Sabbath" falls on Sunday due to historical and cultural challenges of the early church. I put the Sabbath in quotation marks because the Sabbath is not specifically a day but a weekly 24 hour experience set by God to honor him and to respect our bodies and give them rest.  

One of my favorite books on the subject of the Sabbath was written by Mark Buchannan in the The Rest of God.  He wrote:

In a culture where busyness is a fetish and stillness is laziness, rest is sloth.  But without rest, we miss the rest of God:  the rest he invite us to enter more fully so that we might know him more deeply.  "Be still, and know that I am God."  Some knowing is never pursued, only received.  And for that, you need to be still. 
Sabbath is both a day and an attitude to nurture such stillness.  It is both time on a calendar and a disposition of the heart.  It is a day we enter, but just as much a way we see.  Sabbath imparts the rest of God - actual physical, mental, spiritual rest,  but also the rest of God - the things of God's nature and presence we miss in our business.